In celebration of International Women’s Day, we have compiled some of the most powerful quotes from the fearless and resilient badass feminists in our history! Nothing makes us prouder to be a woman today than to have these trailblazers beside us paving the way.
Words lead to actions. There is so much passion, strength, and possibility in these uplifting quotes. Take a few minutes today and soak in these words. Let them wash over you.
In honour of today, we challenge you to continue to speak for those who are voiceless and fight for those who are defenceless. We all have the power within us to make the smallest sliver of difference. Don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
1. Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” — G.D. Anderson
2. “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.” —Sheryl Sandberg
3. “Do the one thing you think you cannot do,” she said. “Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.” — Oprah Winfrey
4. “Do everything you can to be the best in science and math and engineering,” she said. “Go all into it, and kill the stereotype that we can’t be the best in those fields.” — Elizabeth Holmes
5. “Human rights are women’s rights and women’s rights are human rights, once and for all.” —Hillary Clinton
6. “The best protection any woman can have… is courage.”— Elizabeth Cady Stanton
7. “I believe ambition is not a dirty word. It’s just believing in yourself and your abilities. Imagine this: What would happen if we were all brave enough to believe in our own ability? To be a little bit more ambitious? I think the world would change.” —Reese Witherspoon
8. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half its citizens.” — Michelle Obama
9. “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” ― Gloria Steinem
10. “Here’s my feeling: For everyone, men and women, it’s important to be a feminist. It’s important to have female characters. It’s wonderful for women to mentor other women, but it’s just as important for women to mentor men and vice versa. In my line of work, having Greg Daniels be such a great mentor to me is fantastic. Finding a writer’s assistant, be it a man or a woman, and encouraging them to think with a feminist perspective, is key.” — Mindy Kaling
11. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.” —Serena Williams
12. “You don’t have to play dress up to be a feminist. You are a feminist exactly the way you are. You can be a woman who wants to look good and still stand up for the equality of women. There’s no uniform for feminism; You are a feminist exactly the way you are.” — Meghan Markle
13. “I think women are scared of feeling powerful and strong and brave sometimes. There’s nothing wrong with being afraid. It’s not the absence of fear, it’s overcoming it and sometimes you just have to blast through and have faith.” — Emma Watson
14. “Integrate what you believe in every single area of your life. Take you heart to work and ask the most and best of everybody else, too” – Meryl Streep
15. “I raise up my voice – not so I can shout, but so those without a voice can be heard… we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” — Malala Yousafzai
16. “We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead. — Beyonce
17. “I’ve never met a woman who is not strong, but sometimes they don’t let it out. Then there’s a tragedy, and then all of a sudden that strength comes. My message is let the strength come out before the tragedy.” — Diane von Furstenburg
18. “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” — Madeleine Albright
19. “See everyone get the hell out of your way, see your power, your thump, your move, your shock, your quake. See all the marks on the world mean nothing compared to the marks you’re about to make.” — Amber Tamblyn
20. “You may shoot me with your words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise!” — Maya Angelou
21.“We must open the doors and we must see to it they remain open, so that others can pass through.” — Rosemary Brown
22. “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” – Diana Ross
23. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” — Mae Jemison
24. “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” — Coco Chanel
25. “A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power of anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of.” – Zendaya
Founded on an ambition of helping girls succeed in becoming their best selves, DiscoverHER Project advocates the right to education for girls and women around the world. We aim to educate, invest, and empower in young women globally by offering a platform with programs, tools, and resources to enable them to succeed.